Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Better analyst than GM

From Charlie Casserly's post draft analysis

I did a 10-year study on the draft to judge the success rate of players selected in each round. I defined a successful player as one who is starting four years after being drafted. Four years gives him a chance to prove himself, and if you are not starting after four years you will probably be replaced on the roster. The results were as follows:

Round 1 -- 75 percent
Round 2 -- 50 percent
Round 3 -- 30 percent
Round 4 -- 25 percent
Round 5 -- 20 percent
Round 6 -- 9 percent
Round 7 -- 9 percent

Average -- 31 percent My observation on the drafting of players with questionable character is the same as I wrote last week after I interviewed a number of teams. They told me they would not do anything different on draft day, and judging where teams took players, I did not see any difference between where these players were drafted and where they would have been in the past.

No comments: