Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Congratulations universe. You win.

The draft lottery wrapped up last night as my girlfriend and I finished making dinner, and a funny thing happened: I suggested we watch Jeopardy instead of game 2 of the Western Conference Finals. My girlfriend is a Jeopardy fan, and I often accept watching it during dinner a) to gain equity so that I can watch sports during dinner at a later date, b) at least I'm watching something during dinner, and c) to get it off the Tivo. But despite the fact that the Western Conference Finals were on, which basketball fans have been looking forward to all year, the NBA Playoffs have become so utterly unwatchable that I would rather watch a show that makes me feel like a dumbass.

Utah is the only team remaining in the playoffs that averaged 100 points during the regular season. The Western Conference Finals, Eastern Conference Finals, and NBA Finals are all foregone conclusions. The games in the west are decided early and over late, and the east might as well be the minor leagues. But even if Detroit and San Antonio goes 7 games, the basketball is going set the NBA back a decade. Those teams ranked 2nd and 1st, respectively, in the NBA in points allowed during the regular season; 80 points will good enough to win most of those games. Not exactly fantastic.

No comments: